Unpacking 1: Fossils (video)
Topics Covered in this Unit-
- The Fossil Record
- Geological Time Scale
- Identification of Fossils
- Fossil Dating Methods
- Change in Organisms over Time
***Purchase this Unit (click here).
Exercise 1 Fossils True/False? (video)
This video describes an activity appropriate for grades 2 – 12. Students will be able to: (1) define the term fossil, (2) better understand that a fossil must fulfill both a specific age requirement and be the results of a biotic factor, and (3) list possible fossil preservation methods.
Below are links to all documentation for this thematic unit. Presentations are available in PowerPoint format, as well as PDFs for those wishing to print transparencies for overhead projectors. Teachers may wish to review unit workbooks for more in-depth information before using the supplied presentations.
- 2009 TN Science Curriculum Standards
- 2009 TN Mathematics Curriculum Standards
- Common Core Math Standards
Workbooks with Exercises
Additional Readings and Supplementary Files
Scientific Journal Articles (PDF)
- Toilet Paper Timeline of Earth’s History (Excel)
- Phet Simulation: Radioactive Dating Game